The Cracking the Nut® Conference, implemented by Connexus, is a leading international conference, convening development practitioners from around the world to tackle some of the toughest issues around building the world’s rural and agricultural markets.
Connexus, a global consulting services firm with a mission to transform international development and build local capacity.
The Cracking the Nut Conference is the premier, international learning event for sustainably building the world’s rural and agricultural markets. The flagship event, Cracking the Nut 2011 was held in June 2011, in Washington, DC, and focused on overcoming obstacles to rural and agricultural finance. Since the 2011 conference, Connexus has organized nine additional Cracking the Nut events:
- Cracking the Nut 2012, Washington, DC, which focused on attracting private sector investment to rural and agricultural markets.
- Cracking the Nut 2013, Dresden, Germany, which focused on sustainable sourcing for agricultural supply chains.
- Cracking the Nut Africa 2014, Kigali, Rwanda, which focused on improving rural livelihoods and food security.
- Cracking the Nut 2015, Lusaka, Zambia, focused on expanding rural and agricultural markets amid climate change.
- Cracking the Nut 2016, Washington, DC, which focused on regenerating rural and agricultural development.
- Cracking the Nut 2017, Bangkok, Thailand, focused on reinforcing food systems to meet urban demand.
- Cracking the Nut 2018, Antigua, Guatemala, focused on encouraging the uptake of new technologies for agriculture and access to finance, in a way that promotes resilience.
- Cracking the Nut 2019, Dakar, Senegal, highlighted how public and private sector initiatives can be leveraged to stimulate rural and agricultural development, in a way that improves food security.